Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Shots From Last Week

I shot for 5 days strait last week, 12-15 hour days. It was a huge learning experience and here are a couple of short segments from the shoot!

Monday, March 21, 2011

Set Shots

Here are some pics from my week long camp out in the stop motion lab!
I had replacement mouths, eyes and eyebrows ready at the side.

Some pics of my final set and light arrangement. To get a sense of depth I built the back layer of trees out of cardboard and painted with tempera paint. The next layer is cardboard wrapped in wire mesh and thin foam, spray painted. The front layer is sanded balsa foam with tempera paint.

My classmate Laura was a HUGE help with the light set up. I was kind of in the dark about this topic and she really lit the way. We set up a large light with bounce on the side for the sun, lit the back layers of trees with orange and set up a light pointing down. On this upper light we added some black foil to give the illusion of light shining through leaves. The film takes place in the morning and we were really hoping to go for that feeling with this setup.

For the moss ground I used a sheet of thin foam and spray painted it green. This allowed me to conceal the drill holes pretty well, I just cut a little slit with a hobby knife each time I drilled a new hole.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Animation Tests

Headphones Build

I made this out of sculpy and matte board, but I am NOT liking how it is looking after painting. I think I'm going to try a second version with foam and matte board.

Set Build

I've started building my set. For vines I wrapped wire mesh in foam, coated with latex and painted with tempera. For leaves I cut up some green foam I got from the scrap bin at Foam Mart, and some Wonder Foam from Dick Blick. For the large trees I sanded down balsa foam, primed, and painted with tempera. So basically it is a world of foam... sweet sweet foam.

Armature Rebuilds

I scaled down one of the puppets and completely rebuilt another one. These guys should be much lighter, smaller and easier to animate. I also made the hands a lot simpler, with a wire bend over itself for each finger. I put square stock on the hands and wrists so they could be replaced in case any fingers brake.